Book Review: Detecting Fraud in Organizations: Techniques, Tools, and Resources
This book suggests that fraud detection is a matter of identifying the people involved in the organizational process who can commit fraud and learning from people who have committed various types of fraud in the past.
Joseph R. Petrucelli is a licensed certified public accountant in the states of New York and New Jersey as well as a forensic certified public accountant, a certified valuation analyst, a certified financial forensic analyst, a public school accountant, and a certified fraud examiner. He is also certified in financial forensics.
Through this 366-page book, the author also elaborates on how to think like a fraudster in the organizational process. He believes that the key to detecting fraud in today’s organizations is simply to understand where people and organizational value meet, paving the way for fraud.
This book consists of eight chapters that offer the reader the tools and applications they need to start detecting fraud.
- Chapter One discusses what fraud is and why it keeps occurring. Understanding these topics is necessary to develop a proper foundation on which to learn how to detect, deter, and prevent fraud. This chapter emphasizes the important role of people in fraud defense. “People are the heart of fraud, and critical thinking should be applied to the daily organizational process from top to bottom.”
- Chapter Two talks about the importance of rules and developing moral and ethical spirit to combat fraud.
- Chapter Three analyzes the fraud risk and what factors that drive people to commit fraud. This chapter suggested the reader to understand the individual perspective and experiences of the people in the organization when analyzing risk.
- Chapter Four discusses the need to think like fraudsters to catch a fraudster.
- Chapter Five discusses how everything is connected within an organizational process. This chapter also elaborates on how fraud occurred using examples from infamous case of frauds such as Enron and World.com
- Chapter Six talks about the importance of accounting considering how to detect, deter and prevent fraud.
- Chapter Seven discusses the importance of cash considering how to detect, deter, and prevent fraud.
- Chapter Eight talks about the final thought of the books, including handy tips and quick checklist for reference.
This book can be very useful for executives, company managers, and practitioners in the anti-fraud field.